We work, we play and we run around after others, barely giving a thought about our own health. This needs to stop ladies, but its easier said than done, right? Here are a few simple health hacks that you can easily incorporate into your daily routine.
10 Health hacks for busy women
- Check your make up for toxins. Do you really know what you’re putting on your face? You may think your make up is harmless, but unknowingly, the average woman exposes herself to over 515 chemicals a day just trying to look fabulous. Yikes! A list of harmful ingredients to avoid can be found here: http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern. You can also download a fab app called Skin Deep that helps decode the healthiness of your cosmetics.
- Take fruit with you everywhere. You have to eat anyway so it may as well be a piece of fruit. It provides natural energy and hydration and also curbs our sugar cravings. Put down that Twirl and grab an apple!
- Take the stairs. Sneaking cardio, and also stretching into your daily routine is an efficient way to get exercise into a busy schedule. My sister is fab at this – she always drags me up the stairs – and her calves are wicked!
- Have red wine on hand. Yes you heard me right, though probably not at work! Lots of studies show that drinking a glass of red wine a day is actually as beneficial as going to the gym. No this is not a joke! Plus it totally helps us relax after a long day at work, right? Here comes the important and responsible bit though; please drink responsibly – only one glass of wine brings these benefits… not five!
- Spend 10 minutes doing breathing exercises before bed. Do you have trouble switching off after a hectic day? Climb into bed and focus completely on breathing in and out slowly and deeply. Before you know it, you’ll be heading towards dreamland. You could also try a lavender pillow mist – we love this one by L’Occitane.
- Infuse your water. Get vitamins on the go and freshen your breath with these easy infusions. Fresh strawberries and lime make a lovely tasty infusion and a personal favourite of mine is cucumber and mint. So refreshing! I also have lemon, honey and mint in hot water every morning.
- Turn off the alarm whenever you possibly can. Do you check the time in the middle of the night to see how many hours, or even precious few minutes you have before your alarm goes off? If so you’re not getting a full nights rest so make a point of switching off your alarm at the weekend. Do you really need to get up that early on a Sunday? It’s the one day you’re allowed to be a little lazy (unless you have kids, in which case sorry – this tip is completely not for you!)
- Make faces at yourself in the mirror. While this sounds utterly ridiculous, and you may feel silly doing it, its a great way of boosting your health and stretching your muscles. Plus who’s going to see you? Give it a try, if nothing else it gives you a good laugh first thing in the morning.
- Opt for more satisfying carbs. Things like brown rice, beans and quinoa are great for keeping your rumbling belly away during those important meetings. There are so many easy but yummy recipes to be found on the internet too; healthy doesn’t have to be boring.
- Listen to music. Music has many benefits, from enhancing a workout to aiding relaxation and reducing stress. It’s up to you to which style of music goes with each different activity; everybody would choose differently. Singing out loud also helps to lift our mood and is great for your memory. Singing/screeching at the top of my voice whilst driving is my most favourite thing to do!
Remember, you don’t have to include all of these health hacks into your routine, just find what works best for you! Let us know any other ideas that you have over on the Facebook page. You can also sign up to our newsletter here and be the first to know about our latest blogs, offers, courses and resources.