Does the idea of getting your body moving make you bounce out of bed with energy and enthusiasm… or groan, pull the duvet up to your chin, hit snooze and roll over?
For me it’s hard – not only find the time and motivation to head to the gym, but also look and feel great during and after exercise. This can be even harder if you’re a morning bunny and are heading to the office afterwards.
These 10 little exercise hacks will make it easier to switch from gym goddess to workplace queen and vice versa!
10 Exercise Hacks for Busy Women
- Blotting sheets are a fab way to quickly absorb moisture after a workout. These Superdrug ones are a dream for me. Then simply follow with a quick wipe of cooling cleanser on your face if you need to. Fresh in a flash!
- If you’re a swimmer, try putting your favourite conditioner on under your swimming hat. Your hair gets a deep treatment while you swim and then it’s ready to be rinsed off afterwards. If your hair feels good, you feel good!
- Sometimes a sweaty fringe is the only thing that makes post-workout hair look a bit gross. Save time by giving your fringe a quick wash over the sink. I used to do this almost daily when I had a fringe. So simple yet so effective!
- For a super quick after exercise fix, try dusting on some baby powder to absorb excess moisture fast. This is an absolute must after swimming to help you get your clothes back on, however don’t overdo the powder if you’re wearing black!
- If you’re a cyclist, then helmet hair can be a big problem. Try plaiting your hair – French plaits are particularly effective if you have the skill! There’s heaps of tutorial videos on YouTube and it’s well worth learning.
- Put your sports bra on in the morning before work. This saves time when you go for a lunchtime or post work gym session and also keeps you in the right frame of mind throughout the day.
- If you’re like me, you can’t stand the thought of going to the gym without a scrap of makeup on! For speed and subtlety, I apply a tinted moisturiser or BB cream and a quick flick of waterproof mascara on the upper lashes only.
- A friend once said to me: “Why on earth do you pay for a gym membership when you can pay yourself to work out?” Her idea was that every time you exercise you put some money in a jar and by the end of the month you have enough cash to treat yourself. I didn’t think this would work for me, but it’s really exciting at the end of the month to buy something AND know you’ve worked hard for it! Also, most days I don’t really have time to go to the gym, so even 20 minutes at home can have its rewards. Again – my YouTube fan girl pops up – there are some amazing short workouts on there.
- Invest in a decent sports bra if necessary and always wear the right workout clothes for your shape. This can make all the difference to how you feel. If you feel comfortable you will do more and train harder.
- Finally, record your progress. It’s a great way to keep motivated and set new targets to keep your sessions fun and challenging. Don’t forget to reward yourself too!
Take care – and happy exercising!